As of August 1st we no longer offer a weekly foodbank. We are in the process of launching some new programs.Stay tuned.
Healing Hunger in Tacoma
National and Statewide Hunger Facts
- 19.5% of Americans live in hungry or food-insecure households.
- 1 in 5 households across Washington state reported they didn’t have enough money to buy the food they needed in 2009.
- Households with children have almost double the rate of food insecurity compared to those without.
Each month in Pierce County more than 110,000 children, seniors and adults seek help finding food in Pierce County. Of these individuals:
- 53% are children and seniors (39% children under 18, 14% individuals over 55)
- 99% fall below the national poverty line
- Almost half are families with at least one adult working
During 2011 there were more than of 1.2 million (more than 309,000 unduplicated) visits to Food banks and over 15.5 million meals provided in Pierce County.
Every dollar makes a difference to hungry families in our community. For every dollar donated, we are able to distribute approximately $12 worth of food.
Here’s a sample of what your dollars can do:
- $1,000 provides over one year’s worth of food for a family of four
- $500 provides 2,500 meals for children during the summer when school lunches are unavailable
- $250 provides thirteen cases of Ensure for seniors, those with long-term illnesses, and those with special dietary needs
- $100 allows for an infant in need to have two months of baby formula
- $50 provides three weeks worth of food for a family of four
- $25 provides 125 meals for children during the summer when school lunches are unavailable